Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Old Player
10-12-2022, 12:53 PM,
RE: New Old Player
(10-12-2022, 11:51 AM)Grumm Wrote: Hi all, I don't do online much but I wanted to share my story in case it would be of any interest.
[snip]
Since then, I've been learning a little more about the game and reading various reviews. I'm certainly no expert in this subject, but I have frequently read criticism that the early maps were quite empty and boring. I remember feeling the same way when I first opened up Heroes, but I've since come to the conclusion that this criticism is wrong. The interesting feature of Panzer Grenadier, in my mind, is that the unit formations themselves are part of the terrain in the game. The rules incentivize you to make three or four hex-wide formations, with stacks linked by commanders... large, battalion-sized formations with wide frontages. Part of the game is maximizing your firepower by grouping units together... not too densely packed as to become vulnerable, but close enough to be easy to coordinate and activate together, with clear fire lanes against anticipated enemy avenues of approach. The opponent then has to figure out how to break these broad fronts, whether by rolling up a weak flank or bisecting them in the middle or some other method besides. These large frontages bulge and wrap around the so-called "empty" battlefield, creating a dynamic terrain of their own. I actually wonder if Panzer Grenadier would work quite as well as it does with a map as busy as a typical ASL board... these large formations really require some amount of open ground. When the game is in play, mid-scenario, the battlefield never seems to look empty to me, but full of dynamic possibility, with shifting frontlines complementing more static pieces of natural terrain.

Anyway, those are just some thoughts from a new, old player. I've got the original Panzer Grenadier box coming in the mail, which should let me play the final 12 scenarios in Heroes of the Soviet Union properly (without missing maps or counters). I may even check out the new boxed sets and revised rules after that, but for now I am content exploring the original Panzer Grenadier game. Glad I gave it a second chance!

Well hope you like it and continue on. When you are ready to try this with Vassal, let us know. There are a lot of us and we love to have people to play with. Best of luck!
Tambu and Miguelibal like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).

Messages In This Thread
New Old Player - by Grumm - 10-12-2022, 11:51 AM
RE: New Old Player - by goosebrown - 10-12-2022, 12:53 PM
RE: New Old Player - by plloyd1010 - 10-12-2022, 01:06 PM
RE: New Old Player - by Greyfox - 10-12-2022, 04:52 PM