Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Rules] 4th Edition rules are up
07-08-2014, 01:51 AM,
RE: 4th Edition rules are up
I know it's early in the 4E life, but has anyone had a chance to play with the new armor rules yet? The move/fire rule, extended assault and over runs. If so how do they work out?

rv
07-08-2014, 02:07 AM,
Not yet, but I'm planning to play scenario 25 on Friday, with tanks and night rules. Some of that should fit. I'm making copies of tables and rules to put in the other games I own and should be able to add most of it, but it will be another week or two.

(07-08-2014, 01:51 AM)richvalle Wrote: I know it's early in the 4E life, but has anyone had a chance to play with the new armor rules yet? The move/fire rule, extended assault and over runs. If so how do they work out?

rv
"Kill them all, let God sort them out."
08-12-2014, 02:13 PM,
I finished my first 4th edition scenario - Burning Tigers, Graveyard of (something) I - and it was very close with both sides having a chance at a minor victory until the last activation. In the end, the Soviets failed four recovery rolls and the German won.

It certainly played different than in 3rd edition; faster mechanized movement in the open, fields not blocking LoS, planes, friendly fire, the new 2d6 close combat table all played a role in this game.

Very enjoyable experience.

I used the new markers and some I liked, some I liked less. I will play a few more scenarios before I write my impressions.
08-14-2014, 01:06 AM,
Some early thoughts on the markers:

* I like the minefield counters; they are very easy to recognize and to read. I might have preferred the typical minefield image (skull posted on a sign) but maybe not.
* I like the Moved / Fired markers. Same image as the old markers but easier to pick up from the top of a stack due.
* I like the Spotted markers. Same image as the old markers.
* I like the Disrupted and Demoralized markers. The text color is enough for me to easily recognize them at a glance when they are on top of a stack. Their background color not being as distinctive as the old markers helps create a fog of war effect that I like in my solitaire games (I don't generally inspect stacks so it's harder to recognize whether a unit that is not on top is disrupted or demoralized). It did add a few minutes time to the scenario I played because sometimes I had to inspect stacks to check if a unit needed to attempt recovery.
* I don't like the entrenchment counters; they're way too dark for me to recognize anything but a black counter with a tiny white area in a corner. Easy enough to recognize but then again, I could say that of am entirely black counter.
* I am not sure about the Dug In counters. Easy enough to recognize but too busy for my taste. I will keep using them to see if they grow on me.
* Other counters. I have not used them enough to have an opinion.

Not a marker, but Goliaths are fun!
08-05-2017, 04:42 AM,
4th Edition seems pretty new, and we've been using it for over 3 years now!