Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morale check after step losses from assualt
02-12-2018, 12:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2018, 12:37 PM by stodge.)
Morale check after step losses from assualt
After an assault, do I perform an M2 morale check on all units remaining after step losses are applied? Or is the M2 morale check only for the units that took step losses and survived? I think it’s the latter but I just wanted to check.

Thanks
02-12-2018, 02:02 PM,
RE: Morale check after step losses from assualt
All units
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-13-2018, 12:12 AM,
All units. Note, this includes APC's even if the X happened to Inf units.
02-13-2018, 12:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 07:31 AM by Hugmenot.)
Suppose an American stack of an assault contains the following and suffers a "2" result in assault combat. Let us further assume that side has 7/6 morale. All of the units are full (not reduced).

1 x disrupted Captain (9-0-1)
1 x good order Sergeant (8-0-0)
1 x good order INF unit
1 x disrupted ENG unit
1 x demoralized HMG unit

The first step loss must come from the good order INF unit because it has the best morale status (7.63).  The second step loss can be taken from the now reduced good order INF unit, the disrupted ENG, or the demoralized HMG.

I will assume the second step loss was applied to the disrupted ENG unit.

All units and leaders must take a "M2" morale check.

The disrupted Captain goes first (14.12) and the player rolls a "8". Adding "2" gives "10" so it's a failure. The Captain is now demoralized and thus cannot apply his morale modifier to the other morale checks. 

The Sergeant is next and the player rolls a "6". Adding "2" is "8" so he passes and remains in good order.

The units can be checked in any order. The player rolls a "7" for the now reduced INF. Adding "2" gives "9", three greater than its current morale of "6" and it is thus demoralized. Note that it would have failed its morale check by "2" and only be disrupted if the Captain had passed its own morale check (and applied its "1" morale modifier). The player rolls a "5" for the now reduced disrupted ENG unit. Adding "2" gives "7", which is greater than its current morale of "6". A failure and the reduced ENG is now demoralized. The player rolls a "11" for the demoralized HMG. Adding "2" is "13" which is seven more than its current morale of "6". ("7" - "1" for being demoralized). It too must take a step loss.

As the units took step losses, the American player must check for leader casualties (6.7)  and subtract "3" from the die roll (note that step losses caused by compound morale failure count towards the total). The player rolls a "7" for the demoralized Captain. Subtracting "3" gives "4" so the Captain is alive. The player rolls a "4" for the Sergeant. Subtracting "3" gives "1" and thus he's dead.

All that remains in the stack is:

1 x demoralized Captain (9-0-1)

1 x reduced demoralized INF unit
1 x reduced demoralized ENG unit
1 x reduced demoralized HMG unit

Not a happy stack.

============

Which unit to choose for the second step loss can be a difficult choice. In most cases, I will choose to apply the second step loss to demoralized unit (reduced demoralized unit if there is one present) but it's not always for case. If the demoralized unit is a ENG or HMG and there is plenty of time left in the scenario, I may choose something else if I believe I will need the HMG high firepower or the ENG town assault bonus to win. The side's morale is also a consideration, as well as the leaders present and if I can reinforce the assault this turn.
02-13-2018, 12:49 AM,
Dang, now THAT's an answer! Smile
02-13-2018, 09:30 AM,
Thanks everyone and Hugmenot, that was an excellent explanation. Thanks.
02-17-2018, 09:22 AM,
Sorry, another question. All units from both sides? Or just the side that was the defender in the assault hex?
02-17-2018, 10:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-18-2018, 12:55 AM by Poor Yorek.)
(02-17-2018, 09:22 AM)stodge Wrote: Sorry, another question. All units from both sides? Or just the side that was the defender in the assault hex?

Just the one side would suffer a particular attack result.  So, as per example above, the American stack suffered a '2' result inflicted on it by the OpFor.  The American side, however, presuming that they were defending in that assault, would have had an assault factor of 6 (GO inf) + 2 (DIS ENG 5/2 round down) + 3 (DIS eng 5/2 round up) + 2 (DEM HMG 10/4 round down) +3 (DEM hmg 10/4 round up) = 10 12.  So a 9-col shifted up by 1 for undemoralized regular leader (and +1 for the undemoralized eng IF in a town or ENT hex) along with any other applicable modifiers.  

To keep it simple, then, assuming this was just an open terrain assault hex, this US stack would have rolled a 13-col defensive assault roll against the attack OpFor: this could have resulted in anything from a fizzle (-) result 6/36 times to a '2' result (1/36 times) that then would have been applied to the attacking side.  

So to summarize based on Daniel's post that the US stack had been assaulted in a open hex and had a '2' result inflicted upon them by the Attackers, the US assault defense could have inflicted: nothing; an M1; and M2; a '1'; or a '2' result that the Attacking Side would resolve separately.  Note any results of this defensive assault fire would stand the rest of the turn as the attacking side has used its action.

Hope this helps. 

Edit (I changed the rounding as per correction below, but left original for clarity)
02-17-2018, 12:52 PM,
I believe that all fractions are rounded up, not down. That would recalculate as 6, plus (5/2=2.5) which rounds up to 3, plus (10/4 = 2.5), which rounds up to 3. In short, the total equals twelve. In this example the final outcome is unchanged. Sometimes that extra factor does come in handy!

Peace. Michael
02-17-2018, 01:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-17-2018, 01:46 PM by Poor Yorek.)
^ :Confusedlaps forehead:: My only excuse is that I've been tinkering a lot recently with Pathfinder in which fractions are rounded down. Thanks for the catch.