Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cavalry and Infantry going into assault
10-12-2017, 02:39 AM,
Cavalry and Infantry going into assault
Hi all,

In a recent game with Wayne B.,  There was an opportunity for a Cavalry unit with a leader 2 hexes away from an enemy hex and an infantry unit adjacent to both the Cav unit and enemy to assault the enemy unit.

The question is:  Can the Cavalry unit leader order himself and the infantry unit into assault and if so,  does the enemy get the op fire against the cavalry if the infantry unit moves in first?

The rules do state that Cavalry leaders move 6 and can execute a cavalry charge but act as regular leaders in all other respects (Rule 6.91).  Then in the Assault rules, it states that "Only activated, good-order units directed by a leader of their own type (regular or tank) may enter an adjacent hex occupied by enemy units... (Exception: Cavalry charges, 15.31)"   (Rule #12.11).

Based on this,  the move where the Cav leader orders the infantry in and then follows up with the charge seems a legal move and since there is a unit already in assault, that unit does not get the Op fire against the CAV (since each unit completes its move before the next one moves/fires).

Am I correct here?

Thanks,
Tony
10-12-2017, 03:09 AM,
RE: Cavalry and Infantry going into assault
Brought this issue up a few years back, over on ConSim. The consensus of the the time was yes. The cavalry leader could activate both and assault. If the infantry moved first, they would prevent op-fire against the cavalry. Further more the modifier condition "... side is charging cavalry", should be changed to "... side includes charging cavalry". Apart from the academic exercise that I created, I haven't heard of anyone actually ending up in that situation, until now.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-12-2017, 03:51 AM,
(10-12-2017, 03:09 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Apart from the academic exercise that I created, I haven't heard of anyone actually ending up in that situation, until now.

Thanks for the answer Peter. This actually occurred in Indian Unity - The Sugar Factory. A great little scenario and it camE up whilst assaulting the town on the bridge. Wayne can attest to that.
10-12-2017, 07:30 AM,
Tony, you played it as I would have.
03-27-2020, 10:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2020, 10:19 AM by J6A.)
Resurrecting an old thread here.  In my situation, some Russian cavalry charged some German tanks on turn 6.  It didn't go well, with the Germans rolling a "2" result and wiping out one of them, and that's not the point.  The other cavalry survived in good order.  On turn 7, 2 more cavalry units charge into the hex.  Can I add in the unit that is already in the hex AND get the cavalry charge modifier?  Or does the assault just have to be the new cavalry to get the modifier?  Based on the discussion above, I think it can be all the units, and I'm curious if others see it differently.

Although the leader for the charging cavalry is too far away to activate the guy already in the hex, so maybe not.
03-27-2020, 10:52 AM,
Déjà vu  all over again! I think I started that question a long ago on a forum far, far away...

The consensus was you only needed one charging cavalry unit to get the bonus. My question at the time had to do with a combination infantry/cavalry assault.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
03-27-2020, 11:08 AM,
I decided to play it as only the 2 new cavalry could take part in the assault, as the leader was too far away to activate the guy who was already in the hex.  It worked out fine for the Soviets, they rolled a "2" result and fried a platoon of PZIIIGs, while the Germans only rolled a "1".
03-27-2020, 11:12 AM,
Hmm...
So the original question was about a cavalry leader---in one activation--activating both an adjacent infantry, and the Cavalry, to Assault a hex---the cavalry will charge.

I would think this is a single activation---the Defending unit get First fire on all the units attacking it during the activation (if entrenched or dug-in--and any other attacks
later).

The fact the infantry moves in first (as part of same activation) and then the cavalry charges should not change the fact he get first fire on the Assaulting units...
they would get charging cavalry benefit (if they survive not demoralized)....

So it's not TwO rolls against the attacking units---it's one...and the Inf and Cavalry attacking make ONE roll with the modifiers--not separate assaults (it's the same activation)

I'm not sure what I see from others above corresponds with that---I think it should....If not---someone tell me where I'm off ?
cjSmile
03-27-2020, 11:14 AM,
(03-27-2020, 11:08 AM)J6A Wrote: I decided to play it as only the 2 new cavalry could take part in the assault, as the leader was too far away to activate the guy who was already in the hex.  It worked out fine for the Soviets, they rolled a "2" result and fried a platoon of PZIIIGs, while the Germans only rolled a "1".

The rules say that a unit in an assault hex which has NOT yet activated can join in an Assault into that hex.....
So if the Cavalry was not demoralized, and he had not activated, he would have been able to participate in the Assault when the Activated units
entered the hex.

That is pretty clear in the rules, no?
cjSmile
03-27-2020, 12:18 PM,
I don't know that the rule anticipates a cavalry charge. Normally, a leader would activate adjacent units and essentially tell the guys in the hex to join in, especially if he joins the fray himself. It seems odd that guys 400m away would get the word.

Otoh, I'm not sure that's correct, which is why I asked. Certainly taking the conservative approach can't be questioned by my annoying opponent (i.e., me).