Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two fleeing questions
09-29-2017, 09:20 AM,
Two fleeing questions
One is an "I wonder if I've been playing it wrong forever" question.

A unit in an assault hex flees.  The rules say that it must flee its entire movement allowance towards a safe hex.  Normally, though, a unit leaving an assault hex can only move to an adjacent hex.  So, when it flees, does it go to an adjacent hex or its full MA?

Side A' s on board artillery fires at side B's on board artillery and demoralized it.  Side A's unit can see Side B's unit.  The demoralized unit fails its recovery check.  No other DF units are in range of the demoralized unit.  Does it flee that hex or is it considered a safe hex because no other unit can hit it with DF?
09-29-2017, 10:53 AM,
RE: Two fleeing questions
On point 1, it is one hex.

Point 2, technically no., fleeing is not required. This is a situation that Philippe & I disagree with. We think that units should flee from units which can them over open sights. We also think demoralized units should flee toward cover if bombarded during a turn before they attempt to rally.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-29-2017, 11:18 AM,
First question: one hex. See 12.13 and 14.35.

12.13 Morale Restrictions
Disrupted units may NOT enter hexes containing enemy combat units, but may assault enemy units already present in the hex they occupy. Demoralized units may NOT enter an assault hex or assault units already present in a hex they occupy. They may defend against assaulting units at one-quarter of their normal direct fire strength. If demoralized units start their activation in an assault hex, they must try to recover morale. If they fail they must exit the hex (moving only one hex rather than their maximum movement rate), and may suffer a "free shot" from the enemy units there if no friendly units remain in the hex when they leave (12.12). If all adjacent hexes contain enemy units (other than unarmed, empty transports and leaders), the demoralized units are eliminated.

Demoralized units in an assault hex that fail a morale check must exit the hex, and may move only one hex when doing so (12.13). On later activations they flee at their full movement rate if they fail to recover.

==

Second question: The rules says it is a safe hex (1.2 definitions) and that the units does not flee (14.32).

1.2 Definitions
Safe Hex: A town, woods or other hex where a unit cannot be spotted and/or fired on by enemy units with Direct or Anti-Tank Fire (whichever fire type could hurt it), nor can it be assaulted by enemy units. Demoralized units which fail to recover morale must flee toward the closest safe hex (14.31), or remain in the safe hex if they start their activation there (14.32).

14.32 Going to Ground
Once a fleeing demoralized unit reaches a safe hex, it must stop moving and remain in the safe hex until it recovers. If enemy units move so that they can spot the demoralized unit and hit it with Anti-Tank or Direct Fire that could hurt it, and if the unit fails to recover when activated, then it must flee again to a new safe hex.
09-29-2017, 11:24 AM,
Wow, I have been playing the 1 hex wrong and it's right in the rules.

As for the other, the RAW says "no flee" and it's a bit counterintuitive when they cam see the guys shooting them.
09-29-2017, 12:03 PM,
(09-29-2017, 11:24 AM)J6A Wrote: As for the other, the RAW says "no flee" and it's a bit counterintuitive when they cam see the guys shooting them.

That is what we have a problem with. Weapons clearly firing on a unit, but it isn't a threat to evade.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-29-2017, 12:19 PM,
It's something I would like changed if a fifth edition is ever published.
09-30-2017, 02:04 AM,
Yes, I feel it should be changed, as Peter said.
09-27-2018, 06:56 AM,
(09-30-2017, 02:04 AM)leonard Wrote: Yes, I feel it should be changed, as Peter said.

I think that 14.34 would supercede all this; Artillery is a weaponized unit and has a movement of 0. The crew would run away from their gun.
09-27-2018, 07:02 AM,
14.34 It (the unit) is eliminated.
09-27-2018, 07:56 AM,
I thought the issue was units not being required to flee from bombardment units. Clearly, if a bombardment unit is firing within a unit's LOS, it would be perceived as a threat to soft targets.

Our solution to 14.34 was an attempt to flee vs. a must flee result. Attempt to flee, fails rally by 1 or 2, unit will flee if possible or remains in place if not possible.. Must flee, fails rally by 3+, unit will flee if possible or lose step if unable. Gun crews are often noted as sticking to their weapons, even as infantry is running away.