Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Dem units or ones in Assault count as 'enemy that can hurt you'
09-07-2017, 05:32 AM,
Do Dem units or ones in Assault count as 'enemy that can hurt you'
This came up in my face to face battle with Dan Storm. Does a loan enemy Dem inf count as a unit that another friendly Dem inf can't move closer to? 

Do units in assault hexes (Dem or not) count for this rule? 

In the first case they don't really have a FP factor so I can see them not counting. 

In the second case they DO have FP factors (if not Dem) but can't fire outside their hex. I'm inclined to say they DO count as a Dem unit wouldn't be moving towards the fighting.
09-07-2017, 05:39 AM,
RE: Do Dem units or ones in Assault count as 'enemy that can hurt you'
We always played as though they do count. The rational being that the potentially fleeing unit does not know the difference, i.e. they just haven't shot at us yet.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-07-2017, 08:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017, 08:21 AM by J6A.)
I've always played that they don't count, except in an assault hex, where they still have a DF value.
09-07-2017, 08:41 AM,
(09-07-2017, 08:18 AM)J6A Wrote: I've always played that they don't count, except in an assault hex, where they still have a DF value.

That seems like inconsistent logic. In an assault a DEM unit can't initiate an attack... so wouldn't it be just as impotent?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-07-2017, 09:33 AM,
(09-07-2017, 08:41 AM)Shad Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 08:18 AM)J6A Wrote: I've always played that they don't count, except in an assault hex, where they still have a DF value.

That seems like inconsistent logic. In an assault a DEM unit can't initiate an attack... so wouldn't it be just as impotent?

Well, maybe it's splitting hairs, and maybe I'm doing it wrong.  And technically that unit can still hurt if it's assaulted.  Although the DEM unit can't assault it, so maybe I shouldn't do it that way.

Honestly, the number of times I've had only DEM units on both sides is a hex is very rare.
09-07-2017, 09:54 AM,
This was a case where I had a Dem unit retreating towards woods where he had a Dem unit already hiding as well as we had an assault hex (from which his Dem unit had retreated).