Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Wind OOB Missing US Lieutenants
05-24-2017, 03:48 AM,
North Wind OOB Missing US Lieutenants
The North Wind OOB does not show any Army Lieutenants for the American OOB.  This in turn is causing the ILS to not generate any values for them, returning only a "Data Missing" message.
05-24-2017, 02:52 PM,
RE: North Wind OOB Missing US Lieutenants
This took a bit of digging to understand. Here's the problem:
  • North Wind #1 (and perhaps the rest, I only checked this one) draws leaders from Battle of the Bulge
  • NoWi001's OOB calls for an America Army 1st Lieutenant
  • Battle of the Bulge's OOB only has America Army Lieutenants. I assume 1st and 2nd Lts weren't yet part of PG.
  • The ILS tool, and the PG-HQ Library, treat these differently:
    • Lieutenant
    • 1st Lieutenant
    • 2nd Lieutenant

So the ILS error is caused by Avalanche Press' inconsistent unit naming schema over the years.

I'm not sure what the best way to unravel this knot is:
  • we can change NoWi to call for Bulge's lieutenants, but then the NoWi OOB on the site will not match that in the book itself
  • we can patch behind the scenes so that the ILS knows that 1st Lt == Lt in this case, but this might confuse people
  • we can... I dunno what else? I'm tired and this naming stupidity makes my head hurt
Thoughts from anyone?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
05-24-2017, 10:52 PM,
Mr. Hawk(ins)!
(I always wanted to say that.)
1st and 2nd Lieutenants are an aberration with only only appear in Airborne and Airborne:IE. Thus when it comes to North Wind, they are an error. Should you find any more such anomalies, we would like to be informed of them. In the lower right of the scenario and game pages you will find a link for reporting errors. Note that the E&O link is for site errors, note game/scenario errata.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-24-2017, 11:31 PM,
Looks like I should have gone with Occam's Razor for this one! Smile
05-25-2017, 01:49 AM,
The North Wind book I have (2011 PDF download) only references LTs, none of the 10 scenarios reference 2nd or 1st LTs, and the only scenario with Airborne pieces specifically says that the OOB for leaders should be drawn from Bulge only.  So I would think it would be safe to dispense with the 1st LT reference as it appears it is likely out of date anyway.
And on the semi-related note, I will endeavor to use the appropriate system/link for reporting scenario/OOB errors in the future. Shy  I originally came to the error through the ILS generated data error which I got in my head was a web problem rather than an underlying issue with the OOB shown for the book . 

I need to poke around more anyway...it's been a couple years and you've still got loads of awesome content I haven't had a chance to read yet.  Great stuff...thanks for your efforts.
05-25-2017, 08:34 AM,
Peter points out the "Errors? Omissions? Report them!" approach because it's faster: that submission channel sends out an email notification to each moderator that there is something waiting to be addressed. It's like opening a support ticket, essentially. Smile

Thank you for your diligence! Sharp eyes and the willingness to speak up make PG-HQ better for everyone!
05-25-2017, 09:16 AM,
(05-25-2017, 08:34 AM)Shad Wrote: Peter points out the "Errors? Omissions? Report them!" approach because it's faster: that submission channel sends out an email notification to each moderator that there is something waiting to be addressed. It's like opening a support ticket, essentially. Smile

Thank you for your diligence! Sharp eyes and the willingness to speak up make PG-HQ better for everyone!

Actually, when trying to use the ILS for Army Group South Ukraine, I got a "data error" for the RKKA Lt. Colonels. I swear I'm not looking for this stuff. Didn't see an error/omission link on that page...just an email for the site administrator? Anyway, the OOB is correct and includes the Lt. Colonels...so not sure why it would be returning a data error. I have my leader OOBs in a spreadsheet and can randomly generate a list for a scenario, but I haven't automated it in any way. So it's a nice feature...but in no way "mission critical" for me. If I see or experience an error on a page that doesn't have an E/O link, what's the best way to report it?
05-25-2017, 11:21 AM,
Okay, here is where to find the link...

It is at the bottom of every scenario. game and formation page. The ILS will not have it
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-25-2017, 11:34 AM,
(05-25-2017, 09:16 AM)fanghawk Wrote: Actually, when trying to use the ILS for Army Group South Ukraine, I got a "data error" for the RKKA Lt. Colonels. I swear I'm not looking for this stuff. Didn't see an error/omission link on that page...just an email for the site administrator? Anyway, the OOB is correct and includes the Lt. Colonels...so not sure why it would be returning a data error.

Looking here: http://www.pg-hq.com/leader_selector.php...&game=RtBr

There is no Lt Col listed for the RKKA, so there is no data to be found. Whoever input the Road to Berlin leader data missed that one.

Quote:If I see or experience an error on a page that doesn't have an E/O link, what's the best way to report it?

Creating a new thread in the PG-HQ Q&A folder, as you have done. Smile
05-25-2017, 11:02 PM,
Zoinks...so many moving parts. [Image: confused.gif] Included in the "game" OOB but not the leader list for the ILS itself in the case of AGS Ukraine, but missing from the game OOB in the case of North Wind.  Seems sorta like a "if a butterfly flaps its wings in Mongolia, all the Captains will be missing in France" kind of thing. Big Grin

Glad you guys know what you're doing and know where all the needles are in this particular haystack.

Thanks!!