Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bocage
11-20-2016, 12:21 AM,
Bocage
    Matt, in a recent Q & A in csw forum, you made the following comments :

Dan, the mortar is self spotted. For sighting the town is at 20m and the HMG is at 20m. There is no intervening obstacle at a higher level. Due to the elevation of both the mortar and target unit the bocage does not come into play. The HMG is in limiting terrain but is within 3 hexes. Roll on the '12' column. That is only, however, because the mortar uses bombardment fire. 

Any unit attempting to use AT or DF fire, however, would be blocked because, unlike our mortar spotter, the troops and weapons, including the mortar in the town are at 0m (you just try to lug a 75mm AT gun up to a belfry. Even better, once you get it there fire it once and see if it stays there... 

By the way, the corollary of the previous paragraph means that the American HMG in the example above cannot see the mortar, as the mortar can -see- as if it is at 20m but it is really at 0m.

Matt, I don't understand the corollary. The HMG is 20m high and for seeing out (not for firing), it is considered +20 m because of the hedgerow and each hex containing a hedgerow hexside on the LOF is also considered the equivalent of a 20m high hill hex (rule page 8, Invasion 44)... To me, the mortar in town doesn't seem to be in a blind hex and may be spotted (not fired on) by the HMG.
12-17-2016, 10:39 PM,
RE: Bocage
(11-20-2016, 12:21 AM)leonard Wrote: Matt, I don't understand the corollary. The HMG is 20m high and for seeing out (not for firing), it is considered +20 m because of the hedgerow and each hex containing a hedgerow hexside on the LOF is also considered the equivalent of a 20m high hill hex (rule page 8, Invasion 44)... To me, the mortar in town doesn't seem to be in a blind hex and may be spotted (not fired on) by the HMG.

But the HMG may not fire on the Mtr, of course.