Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slowing Down A Bit
03-11-2016, 12:55 AM,
Slowing Down A Bit
After making 1LT in just over 2 years of playing an average of 3 games a week, things are slowing down a bit.  My usually quiet Fridays that have been ideal for a game have been overrun by a new coworker who insists on working on Fridays and making sure I have plenty to do.  And my wife has recently had surgery, so some weekends are a bit more disrupted by needing to do the household things that she can't do for the time being.  That, and it is convention season around here for miniatures games, distracting me from my PG games to run or play something, making sure the correct number of painted models is ready for this or that game, and subjecting me to seeing new games that take my attention, such as a Sergeants Miniatures game that I played at Cincycon that has grabbed my attention.  Still aiming for a game each week, but I really want to get some of the War at Sea and PG Modern stuff on the table as well, so it will mean my playing and reporting will slow down a bit.

Tom Oxley
"Kill them all, let God sort them out."
03-11-2016, 01:21 AM,
RE: Slowing Down A Bit
What?!? Slowing down?!?

This is simply unacceptable. You must continue to play at your highest pace just like me...

Nevermind...
No "minor" country left behind...
04-06-2022, 01:57 AM,
Started picking up a bit again, I probably won't be back to the 2-3 games per week that I used to do, but a few new game titles grabbed my attention lately, and I've gotten a couple of them on the table in the last few weeks.  I'll be joining the ranks of the retired in the next few years, so I count this as building a collection that I can play without having to buy anything after I leave this job and don't budget a hobby allowance anymore. And I signed up to start learning VASSAL, something I haven't tinkered with since some early ASL versions I looked at a long time ago. Seems to be a good way of keeping a game going when I don't have table space for it. My thanks to those who have worked so hard to make that possible.
treadasaurusrex and cjsiam like this post
"Kill them all, let God sort them out."
04-06-2022, 04:35 AM,
(04-06-2022, 01:57 AM)thomaso827 Wrote: Started picking up a bit again, I probably won't be back to the 2-3 games per week that I used to do, but a few new game titles grabbed my attention lately, and I've gotten a couple of them on the table in the last few weeks.  I'll be joining the ranks of the retired in the next few years, so I count this as building a collection that I can play without having to buy anything after I leave this job and don't budget a hobby allowance anymore. And I signed up to start learning VASSAL, something I haven't tinkered with since some early ASL versions I looked at a long time ago. Seems to be a good way of keeping a game going when I don't have table space for it. My thanks to those who have worked so hard to make that possible.
Vassal is the bomb! It lets you zoom in and since my eyes are bad, that is the difference alone between playable and not. Also you can find people all over that can play. Not limited to locally. The PG Vassal selection is outstanding also. If you have not decided to do the Academy, I would highly recommend it. I still play my mentor and in fact have time with him tonight on An Army at Dawn. If you do, try and be the germans on the Tiger scenario. There are just too many Russian tears to deal with. 

As for War At Sea, there are some vassal modules out there, but they vary in quality and most are of older games. Perhaps someday there will be new Vassal mods for the sea games, but at this time there don't seem to be. 

Once you get set up on vassal, let me know and maybe we can get something together.
treadasaurusrex likes this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
04-06-2022, 11:25 AM,
I second what goosebrown said: there are plenty of us out there to play PG online when you are ready. His suggestion about going the training route via online VASSAL mentoring is right on the money, and by far the easiest way to slide into shared play. Great mentors (two different individuals) as goose brown and I have both had the benefit of learning then game from, makes for a great start!

Consider yourself as having an open invitation.

Happy Trails,

Treadasaurusrex
04-06-2022, 11:35 AM,
Ditto all the VASSAL comments...
I get a weekly fix from Peter---I'm in Thailand so my morning starts with coffee, his day is ending with beer....don't seem right somehow...

Love to find other opponents....
should get back to mentoring--but the time zones really suck....

But, the cool sea breezes at the beach bar does make up for much....
04-06-2022, 05:24 PM,
(04-06-2022, 11:35 AM)cjsiam Wrote: Ditto all the VASSAL comments...
I get a weekly fix from Peter---I'm in Thailand so my morning starts with coffee, his day is ending with beer....don't seem right somehow...

You *can* start the day with beer you know…

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
04-07-2022, 10:20 AM,
(04-06-2022, 05:24 PM)goosebrown Wrote:
(04-06-2022, 11:35 AM)cjsiam Wrote: Ditto all the VASSAL comments...

You *can* start the day with beer you know…

I squat in awe of the wisdom of yourself Smile
'tis true.....
I should consider this approach ....
04-07-2022, 10:52 AM,
Archaeologists always start the day with a beer. Breakfast of Champions!
04-07-2022, 11:43 AM,
(04-07-2022, 10:52 AM)treadasaurusrex Wrote: Archaeologists always start the day with a beer. Breakfast of Champions!

I should remember what Ben Franklin said "Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be happy".....

Coffee....'piffle!!