Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
River in PG Uber Scenario 4
03-02-2020, 09:07 PM,
River in PG Uber Scenario 4
I think it should be intended as a major river. And if I read the rules right, this means that no German unit can cross it. Can you please confirm that or tell me where I'm wrong? Thanks.
03-02-2020, 11:26 PM,
RE: River in PG Uber Scenario 4
The Germans in this scenario have a motorized force. For them this means that cross-country travel should be minimized as the movement costs become too high. Specifically it takes the trucks 4 turns to drive directly across, the motorcycles will take 3, unless the road is open. At that point it matters very little which side of a minor river they drive on, because there is no time to cross it (takes an extra turn). So making an obstacle impassable, which you don't have time to deal with anyway, did not seem so important.

What is important for the Soviets in this scenario is to make an effective roadblock, while covering the side passages adequately. I have seen several plays of this scenario. The roadblocks have been pretty weak, and support from the 2 guns has been misplaced.
Shad likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
03-03-2020, 01:04 AM,
Peter, thank you for giving some tactical advice in addition to just answering the question as posed. Very helpful!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
03-03-2020, 01:18 AM,
It is my genuine intent that some of these guys challenge me in the ladder, or whatever, and beat me about 1/2 the time. I don't much care is those opponents come from Italy, Japan, or Gunbarrel, Colorado. Big Grin
g1ul10 likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
03-03-2020, 03:13 AM,
Indeed. Very useful advice.  But you guys are far ahead of me :-) I've still some basic "facts" to digest. Let me try to rephrase my questions in a more direct way:

Question 1: When I see a river on the map, as it is the case with PG Uber Scenario 4, and the scenario sheet says nothing about it, should I assume it is a major or a minor river?

Question 2: Is it correct that no units can cross a major river without the help of engineers?

Question 3: Is it correct that, in case of minor rivers, leg and track can cross them, albeit at a cost, while motorized units still need the help of engineers?
03-03-2020, 03:26 AM,
(03-03-2020, 03:13 AM)g1ul10 Wrote: Question 1: When I see a river on the map, as it is the case with PG Uber Scenario 4, and the scenario sheet says nothing about it, should I assume it is a major or a minor river?
The river note is under the scenario start time. In this case it is minor.

(03-03-2020, 03:13 AM)g1ul10 Wrote: Question 2: Is it correct that no units can cross a major river without the help of engineers?
That is correct.

(03-03-2020, 03:13 AM)g1ul10 Wrote: Question 3: Is it correct that, in case of minor rivers, leg and track can cross them, albeit at a cost, while motorized units still need the help of engineers?
That is also correct.
g1ul10 likes this post
03-03-2020, 03:50 AM,
I don't know how I missed the river clarification on the scenario sheet.... anyway now I know where to look! Thanks Peter. My goal for the next solo scenario is to do it without any rule mistake. Let's see if I can do that.