PG-HQ Forums
Shad is published at last Vassal - Printable Version

+- PG-HQ Forums (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms)
+-- Forum: Panzer Grenadier (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Shad is published at last Vassal (/showthread.php?tid=613)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Shad is published at last Vassal - zombydawg - 09-19-2013

(09-19-2013, 12:03 PM)tlangston28 Wrote:
(09-19-2013, 01:31 AM)zombydawg Wrote: Of course, the ultimate Panzer Grenadier VASSAL experience would be a module that included all the maps and all the pieces from everything. You still would only be able to play the scenarios you had the scenario books for. I have a Lock n Load module like that on my computer and I am able to play the scenarios from the Band of Heros, but not anything from Not One Step Back. I get to look at the Russian pieces, but only play the game ftf when my opponent brings over his game (then we just set up the cardboard - which is always the best way to play).

Hey Zombydawg,

I have that same Lock N' Load module and I have the hard copy of the 2nd edition Band Of Heroes. I really liked the system but only played one solo and there is really no support site for LNL as there is for PG. However, if you are interested, I wouldn't mind playing via VASSAL.

PM me if there is any interest in that.

Of course, I am also one of the Skype players that Vince mentioned for PG so that is always an option as well.

That sounds good. I've played LnL a few times and I have made set-up files for all the BoH scenarios (that means all the pieces are pulled; you just have to set them up. I just ordered the Airborne VASSAL module which is why I am at this site. I haven't had many opportunities to play PG ftf, so I'm really excited about it. When I have played VASSAL I have used either Skype or Ventrillo.

RE: Shad is published at last Vassal - tlangston28 - 09-19-2013

(09-19-2013, 12:24 PM)zombydawg Wrote:
(09-19-2013, 01:31 AM)zombydawg Wrote: Of course, the ultimate Panzer Grenadier VASSAL experience would be a module that included all the maps and all the pieces from everything. You still would only be able to play the scenarios you had the scenario books for. I have a Lock n Load module like that on my computer and I am able to play the scenarios from the Band of Heros, but not anything from Not One Step Back. I get to look at the Russian pieces, but only play the game ftf when my opponent brings over his game (then we just set up the cardboard - which is always the best way to play).

Hey Zombydawg,

I have that same Lock N' Load module and I have the hard copy of the 2nd edition Band Of Heroes. I really liked the system but only played one solo and there is really no support site for LNL as there is for PG. However, if you are interested, I wouldn't mind playing via VASSAL.

Of course, I am also one of the Skype players that Vince mentioned for PG so that is always an option as well.

That sounds good. I've played LnL a few times and I have made set-up files for all the BoH scenarios (that means all the pieces are pulled; you just have to set them up. I just ordered the Airborne VASSAL module which is why I am at this site. I haven't had many opportunities to play PG ftf, so I'm really excited about it. When I have played VASSAL I have used either Skype or Ventrillo.

I am currently playing the Airborne VASSAL game with Shad (the site's creator) using logfiles. However, if you have a small PG scenario in mind, it isn't too much to play PG via Skype. I wrote a small summary of how this works in a post about 5 months ago.

LnL would probably play faster and can probably be completed in an evening - where PG is probably more likely to be a 2 session game for shorter scenarios (counters and turns) where larger ones can take up to 4 or more sessions.

Let me know at tlangston28 at comcast dot net (e-mail disguised to prevent spam harvesting) or use the "PM" button below if you want to discuss getting a time/scenario selected at some point.

RE: Shad is published at last Vassal - zombydawg - 09-19-2013

(09-19-2013, 02:28 PM)tlangston28 Wrote:
(09-19-2013, 12:24 PM)zombydawg Wrote:

Hey Zombydawg,

I am currently playing the Airborne VASSAL game with Shad (the site's creator) using logfiles. However, if you have a small PG scenario in mind, it isn't too much to play PG via Skype. I wrote a small summary of how this works in a post about 5 months ago.

LnL would probably play faster and can probably be completed in an evening - where PG is probably more likely to be a 2 session game for shorter scenarios (counters and turns) where larger ones can take up to 4 or more sessions.

Let me know at tlangston28 at comcast dot net (e-mail disguised to prevent spam harvesting) or use the "PM" button below if you want to discuss getting a time/scenario selected at some point.

I just ordered airborne and haven't received it yet, so I'm not ready to play that. I would really like to learn the PG system better. It's been a little while but I think I could play BoH.

RE: Shad is published at last Vassal - stear - 10-06-2013

Les, did your copy of Airborne 3.0 arrive yet?

Has anyone made use of Shad's module? Any idea from Mike as to how popular a download it has been? And how is the Elsenborn one progressing? If there is hope for that, there is hope for the other game series.

-Jim

RE: Shad is published at last Vassal - Hugmenot - 10-06-2013

I am playing an Airborne scenario via VASSAL with Shad. It's a bit slower than playing with two board setup via Skype but it is a very effective tool if you want to play by email.

I already told Shad I may play 4 to 6 Elsenborn Ridge scenarios at the same time via email once the VASSAL module is out. I played a lot of correspondence chess in my life and I am perfectly fine with games lasting several months.

I expect we will see a VASSAL module for a GWAS game next year James. Out of curiosity, if you were to pick a game, even a game that will be published soon, which one would you like to be the first to have a GWAS module?

RE: Shad is published at last Vassal - zombydawg - 10-07-2013

(10-06-2013, 06:29 AM)stear Wrote: Les, did your copy of Airborne 3.0 arrive yet?

Has anyone made use of Shad's module? Any idea from Mike as to how popular a download it has been? And how is the Elsenborn one progressing? If there is hope for that, there is hope for the other game series.

-Jim

I got the booklet and the module. All I've done so far is set up some pieces for the first scenario. I wonder how the strongpoints will work on VASSAL.

RE: Shad is published at last Vassal - stear - 10-07-2013

Hi Daniel,

At the risk of getting flame-throwered away by Andrew for slightly off-topic, I'll answer quick:

Pacific Crossroads.

It's a good game, a good number of scenarios, no subs / aircraft, and... Mike indicates he's storing a number of them! Wink It did not sell as well as SWWAS Coral Sea.

After that, maybe Plan Gold. Remember the Maine and Russo-Japanese War would be good candidates, based on the counter mix.

Does VASSAL allow for double-blind play, i.e. handling search functions etc? That was one of the best features of the spreadsheet / VB program Russel and I made to handle GWAS operational. Double-blind makes for awesome GWAS / SWWAS games.

Did I mention I own 4 PG games? Big Grin

-Jim

RE: Shad is published at last Vassal - Shad - 10-07-2013

(10-07-2013, 12:55 PM)stear Wrote: Does VASSAL allow for double-blind play, i.e. handling search functions etc? That was one of the best features of the spreadsheet / VB program Russel and I made to handle GWAS operational. Double-blind makes for awesome GWAS / SWWAS games.

Not out of the box. It supports custom Java scripts, so if you could make it work within Excel someone who knows Java could certainly write a plugin for the VASSAL client.

However, such enhanced functionality is very rarely seen in VASSAL mods. So for most practical purposes I'd say no, it doesn't support double-blind play without a referee.

RE: Shad is published at last Vassal - campsawyer - 10-07-2013

Jim, your spreadsheet is still the best. There is no referee functionality in Vassal. It would be nice to see the functionslity of the spreadsheet web enabled somehow.

RE: Shad is published at last Vassal - tlangston28 - 10-08-2013

I looked at the internals of that spreadsheet to see if it could be transferred effectively to a web-based interface (after our game of Pacific Crossroads using that spreadsheet, Alan) and I think it can be done but the site would have to act similar to Hamete. which I believe is a blog-based site.

I have done a little digging into it to see how it could be done but haven't found enough info to start a project like that. It would make playing GWAS via Skype really simple.