PG-HQ Forums
What would be nice... - Printable Version

+- PG-HQ Forums (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms)
+-- Forum: Panzer Grenadier (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: PG-HQ Q&A (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: What would be nice... (/showthread.php?tid=281)

Pages: 1 2

What would be nice... - zovs - 09-05-2012

Okay let's say I am looking to pick up an add on or supplement. What would be nice would be if somehow the site/system could look at your current list of modules and let you know which ones you could get.

For example I just looked at like 5 of these thing trying to figure out what would be a good fit for my (soon to be, hopefully) collection (EFDx, RtBr, BaBu, ElSr and FoaF, all for just under 200). Or if the funds don't come through this week if I only get (EFDx, RtBr) for example which add on's would fit?

Or do you need to worry about a few missing things , for example on my last example if I went ahead and just got EFDx, RtBr and ReWa and picked up BluD, then you wold not worry about the missing AFDx or SiFo to play those scenarios (four out of the twenty)?

Or is this feature already in place (a magical showing what you could get or add)?

RE: What would be nice... - Matt W - 09-05-2012

If you go to the supplement page it shows all of the items needed to play each scenario in the supplement. If you go to Patton's Nightmare, for example (through the library) you will see that it requires Road to Berlin and Elsenborn Ridge for maps and counters. With those two games you can play every scenario in the supplement.

It does not look at your collection and tell you what you can get but it makes it easy for you to look it over and make that determination. It also lets you know when you can play 3/4 of the scenarios with your current collection and what you would need to get to play the remaining 1/4...

RE: What would be nice... - zovs - 09-05-2012

Matt W,

Quote:It does not look at your collection and tell you what you can get

Right, hence the subject of this post or feature request/enhancement.

Quote:but it makes it easy for you to look it over and make that determination

Understand but I was asking for an auto type of thing.

Quote:It also lets you know when you can play 3/4 of the scenarios with your current collection and what you would need to get to play the remaining 1/4

Now how does it do that?

For example I only have two entries, East Front Deluxe and Road to Berlin, so for example when I go to the Blue Division page I don't see anything on that page showing me a % of what scenarios I can play, unless again if I missed something but I don't see it.

RE: What would be nice... - Matt W - 09-05-2012

It's still a manual calculation. So taking your example, with EF and RtB in your hands you could play 11 of the 20 Blue Division scenarios, or 55% (years of trying to figure out batting averages makes me pretty good at that). As you said it's not automatic. It is, hoever, readily available information.

RE: What would be nice... - Shad - 09-06-2012

(09-05-2012, 07:40 PM)zovs Wrote: Okay let's say I am looking to pick up an add on or supplement. What would be nice would be if somehow the site/system could look at your current list of modules and let you know which ones you could get.

I toy with this every couple of months. It's doable, but it's extremely messy.

For starters, with 67 games in play you have 3.6471110918188705e+94 possible unique combinations. That pretty much rules out pre-calculating data and serving you static recommendations.

I haven't slept in 24 hours so I'm not eager to go into details of how you could implement this right now.

The best plan is just to look at the topics you're interested in, then build a collection that allows you to enjoy them.

Me? I'm all about the Pacific theater, so I must have Bulge (U.S. Army) and I must have Guad (JPN + Marines), and I must have Desert Rats (maps for Alaska's War and Commonwealth for Kokoda Trail).

RE: What would be nice... - Dean_P - 09-06-2012

(09-06-2012, 08:48 AM)Shad Wrote: I toy with this every couple of months. It's doable, but it's extremely messy.

For starters, with 67 games in play you have 3.6471110918188705e+94 possible unique combinations. That pretty much rules out pre-calculating data and serving you static recommendations.

Only 3.6471110918188705e+94? A real database programmer could do that in their spare time! Big Grin

RE: What would be nice... - zovs - 09-06-2012

Dean_P that is too funny.. Smile

Okay no worries Shad, it' was just a silly newbie's idea, you gave me some good pointers already.

My base is EFDx & RtB, I may just throw in BaBu and ElRd as well as FaFr. We will see.

This is almost as addicting as ASL...lol, more crack we would say over there... :0

RE: What would be nice... - Shad - 09-06-2012

The best part is, with the exception of the mysterious Lions of Finland, nothing is really OOP in the ASL sense of needing to sell organs or spare children to acquire. PG has low resale value, even when unpunched. So no need to rush or feel like it's a now-or-never decision. Get 'em as you need 'em. Smile

RE: What would be nice... - zovs - 09-06-2012

Ah, thanks I do need to keep that in mind. Just for fun on that web site I put in my shopping cart the five building blocks (EFDx, RtB, BaBu, ElRi, and FaFr) plus six supplements (WiSo, ReWa, BlDi, SiFo, WoPe, AFDx) and that came out to just under $300.00, which is not that bad, but still a lot, have to decide still if I want to drop that much at first or just be more realistic and get just EFDx + RtB.

As you pointed out Shad, my ASL side goes "Oh, I better snark these up they will be gone by end of week"... Smile

Thanks again.

RE: What would be nice... - Dean_P - 09-07-2012

(09-06-2012, 09:34 PM)zovs Wrote: As you pointed out Shad, my ASL side goes "Oh, I better snark these up they will be gone by end of week"... Smile

Thanks again.

Which is one reason I never got into ASL... that and the rulebook size. Big Grin

That said, I remember a couple months ago asking about just such a capability (click the games you have and then when you look at a supplement it tells you how many scenarios are playable). It was soon thereafter that Shad pointed out that my having bought Secret Weapons when all I had was EFD and BoB was probably not my wisest purchase! Of course, since then I've piced up ER, RtB, FoF and BN (which arrived just today).