PG-HQ Forums
Abusing horses and trucks - Printable Version

+- PG-HQ Forums (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms)
+-- Forum: Panzer Grenadier (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Abusing horses and trucks (/showthread.php?tid=247)

Pages: 1 2 3

Abusing horses and trucks - larry marak - 08-23-2012

Under the category of delay of the game, I've run into players who will activate individual transport units located in rear areas in order retain specific units for reaction-deployment near the end of turn. Fog of war is a good way to discourage this, but do you consider this kind of thing unsporting? What other gamey manuevers have you run into?

RE: Abusing horses and trucks - Shad - 08-23-2012

I do this frequently, typically to avoid forced demoralization rally attempts where I fear the consequences of their failure. I think FoW is a reasonable deterrent. No other changes necessary.

RE: Abusing horses and trucks - J6A - 08-24-2012

I was actually just thinking about this today. Just moving useless units to avoid demoralization checks. Sometimes, you don't want to do those rolls, especially in an assault hex.

RE: Abusing horses and trucks - campsawyer - 08-24-2012

I don't have problems with these moves. PG activations is a game of choices, if you want to burn a activation with moving transports back and forth, I would thank them for the free activation.

As for demoralized units, it has been my experience that something will happen to them one way or another. It's best to try to rally them, otherwise your opponent will take care of them.

RE: Abusing horses and trucks - Matt W - 08-24-2012

I haven't done the trucks and carts thing but I have done a whole lot of useless activations to avoid having to give up that last assault hex before I can reinforce it.

RE: Abusing horses and trucks - Hugmenot - 08-25-2012

I don't have a problem with someone activating all leaders and units with a fire value one at a time to delay or avoid a recovery attempt, but I would be quite annoyed if my opponent activated trucks and wagons one at a time for that purpose.

Likely annoyed enough to refuse playing with the FoW optional rule in our next encounter.

I am glad to say neither Matt nor Alan attempted such tactics in our games.

RE: Abusing horses and trucks - Shad - 08-25-2012

Why would it annoy you?

RE: Abusing horses and trucks - Hugmenot - 08-25-2012

Moving individual transport units for the sole purpose of delaying a recovery attempt is where I draw my "too gamey" line.

My interpretation of the Fog Of War rule's intent is closer to "use this rule if you want to remove the certainty you will be able to activate every unit you want to activate this turn" than "use this rule to remove the certainty you will have to perform required activations this turn". If my interpretation of an optional rule is opposite to that of my opponent, I'd rather not use the rule.

RE: Abusing horses and trucks - waynebaumber - 08-25-2012

I plead guilty to moving a truck to delay having to roll for recovery. I tend to do it less now as it is so gamey but if I by doing so I could reinforce a Victory Condition assault hex which would otherwise be lost then watch me move those three stacked truck hexes one hex one at a time while praying for the FOW roll. Now if an opponent (like young Hugmenot) said at the start of the game that he felt this was a step too far, then I would follow his wishes with no problems. I always use the FOW rule as it enhances the games so much

RE: Abusing horses and trucks - campsawyer - 08-25-2012

(08-25-2012, 02:23 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Moving individual transport units for the sole purpose of delaying a recovery attempt is where I draw my "too gamey" line.

My interpretation of the Fog Of War rule's intent is closer to "use this rule if you want to remove the certainty you will be able to activate every unit you want to activate this turn" than "use this rule to remove the certainty you will have to perform required activations this turn". If my interpretation of an optional rule is opposite to that of my opponent, I'd rather not use the rule.

I can see your point, but with something like delaying demoralization, it really doesn't help. It will have to recover or fail a morale check at some point. By doing a nothing move, like the truck/wagon, only gives your opponent a free activation. Hence why, I don't do it, but others are free to give me such a gift. Big Grin