PG-HQ Forums
Chinese units? - Printable Version

+- PG-HQ Forums (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms)
+-- Forum: Panzer Grenadier (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: DIY (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Chinese units? (/showthread.php?tid=1285)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Chinese units? - plloyd1010 - 02-10-2016

Drew, and anyone else who might care, I am sort of drifting back to Chinese in PG. I have the Manchukou guys mostly done, but they are mostly punching bags. (I originally made them so the Mongols & Russians could beat them up.) I am thinking now about the Nationalists & Kuomintang right now, Mao & communists need a place too. In this thread I am thinking mostly of color schemes.

The Nationalist/Kuomintang emblem is a white sunburst on a blue disc. The Kuomintang emblem extends to the edge of the disc. I was thinking of that on a light jade background. Some green between the RKKA and US Army greens.

For the communists I am still vacillating on the emblem. Either Chinese Workers & Peasants Army (black hammer-sickle on white star), or the People's Liberation Army star (red, gold trimmed, star). The second is probably more historically accurate, but looks a lot like the RKKA star already in use. No good thoughts on background color yet.

Any particular thoughts on the subject?

RE: Chinese units? - larry marak - 02-10-2016

Keep palate space for several additional armed forces. Not only were there multiple puppet-state armies, including the Nanking R.O.C. army, but also warlord armies and Korean volunteers. The war in China (as depicted on the monument next to Mao's ) went on for more than twice as long as WW2 in Europe. Different armies were operational in different years of the China War.

RE: Chinese units? - plloyd1010 - 02-10-2016

I wasn't planning on making a lot of Chinese sub-armies. While I am aware of national factions, such as People's Revolutionary Government of Fujian, I was not intending to represent them individually. I might make some generic warlord counters. They might be useful in the first project I am thinking of (USMC vs. Sun Yat-sen).

RE: Chinese units? - rerathbun - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 02:33 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I might make some generic warlord counters. They might be useful in the first project I am thinking of (USMC vs. Sun Yat-sen).

Put that together with the new gunboat rules and we can re-play The Sand Pebbles.

RE: Chinese units? - plloyd1010 - 02-10-2016

I don't have the gunboat addition. Would you like to share? Rules only, of course.

RE: Chinese units? - Matt W - 02-11-2016

Still in development. Includes current effects, grounding and other ludicrous additions.

RE: Chinese units? - JayTownsend - 02-12-2016

Hang in there guys, Korean-War: Intervention game will be coming soon and yes there will be a lot of Chinese of the CCP type. 65 scenarios in fact! Then some more in the supplement called Allies.

RE: Chinese units? - Shad - 02-18-2016

I don't think you need to worry about emblems resembling those of other nationalities if those nationalities will never be on the same battlefield. The overall counter color scheme is more important.

I think multiple types of warlords is a bad idea. They all thought they were very important, but their uniqueness was minor at best. Better to just have one generic set of warlord counters for simplicity's sake.

Lastly, I'm interested in what sort of scenarios you design. According to the always objective Chinese television dramas all actions were small unit engagements characterized by individual acts of extreme bravery by low-ranking Red Army soldiers overcoming coordinated cruelty, corruption, and cowardice by Japanese / Nationalist elements. Good luck! Rolleyes

RE: Chinese units? - Hugmenot - 02-18-2016

How is that different than Hollywood movies except for the scale of the engagements?

Bow jung ah, young one.

RE: Chinese units? - Shad - 02-18-2016

(02-18-2016, 01:04 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: How is that different than Hollywood movies except for the scale of the engagements?

Bow jung ah, young one.

Because in the movies the US always has the best technology and weapons Cool

The Chinese version are akin to Cliven Bundy defeating the entire Marine Corps!