PG-HQ Forums
[Rules] 7.44 Opportunity Fire - Printable Version

+- PG-HQ Forums (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms)
+-- Forum: Panzer Grenadier (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Panzer Grenadier Rules (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: [Rules] 7.44 Opportunity Fire (/showthread.php?tid=100)

Pages: 1 2

7.44 Opportunity Fire - danlewistn - 07-01-2012

[/i]Units with direct fire values, and AFVs with Armor Efficiency (11.2), may conduct two opportunity fires each turn.

I guess there's a couple ways I could read the above rules. The unit can conduct opportunity fire twice if both conditions apply. Otherwise it would say "or" rather than "and".

But that would mean that non-AVF units such as an AT gun or infantry unit, can't conduct opportunity fire.

So if I assume that they really meant "or" then the second issue is that most AFV units which do NOT have Armor efficiency, do have direct fire values, so it would seem that the first qualifier negates the 2nd qualifier in most cases?

RE: 7.44 Opportunity Fire - vince hughes - 07-01-2012

(07-01-2012, 09:51 AM)danlewistn Wrote: [/i]Units with direct fire values, and AFVs with Armor Efficiency (11.2), may conduct two opportunity fires each turn.

I guess there's a couple ways I could read the above rules. The unit can conduct opportunity fire twice if both conditions apply. Otherwise it would say "or" rather than "and".

But that would mean that non-AVF units such as an AT gun or infantry unit, can't conduct opportunity fire.

So if I assume that they really meant "or" then the second issue is that most AFV units which do NOT have Armor efficiency, do have direct fire values, so it would seem that the first qualifier negates the 2nd qualifier in most cases?

Dan,

Units with DF can do 2 opp fires a turn, but only one at a target as it enters a hex. Its next opp fire would have to be either at a different target entering a hex or at the same target as it entered a different hex.

Also, units with AT effeciency & DF although being able to Opp Fire twice, can only use EITHER the DF or AT not both. Once it has fired one of the types, it can only fire the same type in it's second Opp Fire ...

Hope that makes it all simpler Angel

RE: 7.44 Opportunity Fire - Michael Murphy - 07-01-2012

Just a quick follow up here. Units lacking AT efficiency can only take 1 AT Opp Fire shot per turn. Think carefully about taking that shot as Opp Fire penalizes your AT shot with a -1 modifier. You may be better off waiting for a couple of impulses to go by before taking that shot. That delay will eliminate that pesky moving target drm. Of course, FOW may take your chance away from you.

Michael

RE: 7.44 Opportunity Fire - Blackcloud6 - 07-01-2012

"Of course, FOW may take your chance away from you."

I love FoW just for things like this one.

RE: 7.44 Opportunity Fire - danlewistn - 07-02-2012

What is FOW?

And are you the same Michael Murphy that wrote those western rules and moved to Indiana a few years ago?

RE: 7.44 Opportunity Fire - Hugmenot - 07-02-2012

(07-02-2012, 01:33 AM)danlewistn Wrote: What is FOW?
FOW is Fog Of War, optional rule 17.4. It's a very popular optional rule as it adds another (simple) element of uncertainty. I started using it after my 5th or so scenario and I really like it.

http://www.pg-hq.com/annotated-rules.php#Rule17.4

RE: 7.44 Opportunity Fire - broadsword - 07-02-2012

I also play with the popular house rule that AT guns are efficient (2 shots) until they've fired. Simulates camouflaged AT guns and makes AFVs respect them a bit more.

RE: 7.44 Opportunity Fire - Michael Murphy - 07-02-2012

(07-02-2012, 01:33 AM)danlewistn Wrote: What is FOW?

And are you the same Michael Murphy that wrote those western rules and moved to Indiana a few years ago?

No I'm not the same guy you're thing about. I have lived in Michigan all my life (except for the 8 years that I served in the Navy).

RE: 7.44 Opportunity Fire - Michael Murphy - 07-02-2012

(07-02-2012, 02:01 AM)broadsword Wrote: I also play with the popular house rule that AT guns are efficient (2 shots) until they've fired. Simulates camouflaged AT guns and makes AFVs respect them a bit more.

I like this idea, I really do. I have to ask, do you use this for all AT guns, or just those that setup in limiting terrain?

RE: 7.44 Opportunity Fire - broadsword - 07-02-2012

(07-02-2012, 02:15 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote:
(07-02-2012, 02:01 AM)broadsword Wrote: I also play with the popular house rule that AT guns are efficient (2 shots) until they've fired. Simulates camouflaged AT guns and makes AFVs respect them a bit more.

I like this idea, I really do. I have to ask, do you use this for all AT guns, or just those that setup in limiting terrain?

I use it for all AT guns -- because even "clear" terrain in PG would really have all sorts of dead spots and small vegetation and microterrain capable of hiding an AT gun somewhere in it. Particularly true in Beyond Normandy, which I'm playing, since much of the open terrain was really wheatfields.